In the flipped classroom model, pre-class learning materials facilitate knowledge acquisition by students so they will be ready for the application of such knowledge in class. Multimedia content possesses certain advantages over traditional text-based reading materials in enabling a more engaging pre-class learning experience.
Hence, we introduce a six-step model to guide you through the production and application of instructional videos for use in the flipped classroom approach.
The Six-step Model
Design Learning Experience
Planning the Instructional Video
Lay Out Your Production Plan
Rolling the Camera
Post-Production & Contingencies
Delivery of Online Learning
1. Bond, L. (2005). Carnegie perspectives: Who has the lowest prices? Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, Stanford, CA, retrieved December 21, 2009
2. wikiHow to Create a Storyboard at https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Storyboard
4. High quality stock photos can be found at many vendors such as Adobe Stock https://stock.adobe.com and Shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/.
5. Introduction to Three-Point Lighting & Other Video Lighting Techniques at https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/introduction-to-three-point-lighting-other-video-lighting-techniques.html
6. How much content can you store in a card? at https://www.sandisk.com/about/legal/hd
7. Top 10 Best DSLR Video Tripods of 2017 at https://photophique.com/best-dslr-video-tripods/
8. Smooth operators: 10 top video tripod heads for any budget at http://www.imaging-resource.com/articles/smooth-operators-10-top-rated-video-tripod-heads
9. 9 Of The Best DSLR Stabilizers & Gimbals In 2017 at https://www.top9rated.com/best-dslr-camera-stabilizer-steadicams/
10. The Best Field Monitors for DSLRs at https://www.photoworkout.com/best-field-monitors-dslrs/
11. Many computers and smartphones have voice recognition feature built-in nowadays. AI cloud services such as IBM Watson Speech to Text https://www.ibm.com/watson/services/speech-to-text/ can also be helpful.
12. Google Translate https://translate.google.com/ is the most commonly used tool.
13. Even text-to-speech feature is commonly available on IT devices, dedicated service such FromTextToSpeech.com http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/ may help you get the job done quicker.
Why Long Lectures Are Ineffective
Optimal Video Length for Student Engagement
The Science of Attention: How To Capture And Hold The Attention of Easily Distracted Students
What Makes an Online Instructional Video Compelling?