In the flipped classroom model, pre-class learning materials facilitate knowledge acquisition by students so they will be ready for the application of such knowledge in class. Multimedia content possesses certain advantages over traditional text-based reading materials in enabling a more engaging pre-class learning experience.
Hence, we introduce a six-step model to guide you through the production and application of instructional videos for use in the flipped classroom approach.
The Six-step Model
Design Learning Experience
Planning the Instructional Video
Lay Out Your Production Plan
Rolling the Camera
Post-Production & Contingencies
Delivery of Online Learning
(Looking for ideas to run a workshop to guide your fellow faculties to explore and discuss the strategies demonstrated above? Check out the Workshop Resource(s) we prepared for suggested activities, group discussion questions, and more!)
1. Bond, L. (2005). Carnegie perspectives: Who has the lowest prices? Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, Stanford, CA, retrieved December 21, 2009
2. wikiHow to Create a Storyboard at https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Storyboard
4. High quality stock photos can be found at many vendors such as Adobe Stock https://stock.adobe.com and Shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/.
5. Introduction to Three-Point Lighting & Other Video Lighting Techniques at https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/introduction-to-three-point-lighting-other-video-lighting-techniques.html
6. How much content can you store in a card? at https://www.sandisk.com/about/legal/hd
7. Top 10 Best DSLR Video Tripods of 2017 at https://photophique.com/best-dslr-video-tripods/
8. Smooth operators: 10 top video tripod heads for any budget at http://www.imaging-resource.com/articles/smooth-operators-10-top-rated-video-tripod-heads
9. 9 Of The Best DSLR Stabilizers & Gimbals In 2017 at https://www.top9rated.com/best-dslr-camera-stabilizer-steadicams/
10. The Best Field Monitors for DSLRs at https://www.photoworkout.com/best-field-monitors-dslrs/
11. Many computers and smartphones have voice recognition feature built-in nowadays. AI cloud services such as IBM Watson Speech to Text https://www.ibm.com/watson/services/speech-to-text/ can also be helpful.
12. Google Translate https://translate.google.com/ is the most commonly used tool.
13. Even text-to-speech feature is commonly available on IT devices, dedicated service such FromTextToSpeech.com http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/ may help you get the job done quicker.
Why Long Lectures Are Ineffective
Optimal Video Length for Student Engagement
The Science of Attention: How To Capture And Hold The Attention of Easily Distracted Students
What Makes an Online Instructional Video Compelling?